Annapurna and Chulu West Peak
Chulu West is located north of Manang and the Annapurna range. It is a prominent peak in the Manang Himal range, rising majestically from the semi-arid flatlands of the Manang valley. Technically harder than the other climbs described here, it is also a longer climb, and usually two high camps need to be established.
After preparations in Kathmandu, we travel by private vehicle to Besisahar to commence trekking anti-clockwise on the Annapurna Circuit.
We follow the main trail to Manang, walking first through the lush lowlands of the Marsyangdi River and noticing the landscape change as we curve behind the Annapurna range and enter its rainshadow.
A little further on at Letdar (4200m), we branch away from the main track and and head towards the Chulu Himal. Chulu West Base Camp (4700m) is in a narrow valley about 3 hours from Letdar, up a steep grassy slope and scree. Here we will spend some time resting, acclimatizing, and becoming familiar with the climbing techniques and equipment we will need to be successful on ascent.
It is a long climb, and we allow ourselves several days for our assault on the summit.
The first high camp on the mountain is established at 5300m, and a second at 5650m. Summit day demands a special effort, but our prize is a magnificent view of the entire Annapurna range, Manaslu (8163m), and the wild landscape of Tibet.
On descent, we return to the Circuit track at Letdar and then continue over the Thorung La (5416m) to reach Jomsom.
We take a flight from here, back to Pokhara for a night to celebrate our achievement, and finally return to Kathmandu.
- Day 01: Arrive in Kathmandu (1360m) transfer to hotel
- Day 02: Kathmandu, half day sightseeing tour
- Day 03: Bhulbule (840m)
- Day 04: Syanje (2236m)
- Day 05: Tal (2700m)
- Day 06: Bagarchap (2164m)
- Day 07: Chame (2685m)
- Day 08: Pisang (3475m)
- Day 09: Manang (3535m)
- Day 10: Manang, rest and acclimatization
- Day 11: Ledar (4200m)
- Day 12: Chulu West Base Camp (4700m)
- Day 13: Chulu West Base Camp, rest & acclimatization
- Day 14: Chulu Wast Base Camp, climbing lessons & preparation
- Day 15: Chulu West Base Camp to camp one (5300m)
- Day 16 – 17: Chulu West (6250m) Summit attempt
- Day 18: Chulu West Base Camp
- Day 19: Thorong Phedi (4400m)
- Day 20: Muktinath (3800m)
- Day 21: Jomsom (2713m)
- Day 22: Pokhara (850m)
- Day 23: Fly back to Kathmandu
- Day 24: Departure (Trek ends after breakfast)
- Airport transfers
- half day sightseeing tour in Kathmandu
- Domestic flight from Jomsom – Pokhara – Kathmandu & domestic departure taxes
- All other transport
- Services of experienced leaders, trekking guides, porters & cooking crew
- All accommodation (twin share, 4 nights hotels, 19 nights trekking lodges or 2-person tents with sleeping mat provided)
- All meals on trek (23 breakfasts, 19 lunches, 19 dinners)
- Trek pack (sleeping bag, sleeping sheet, kit bag, down jacket, climbing equipment except plastic boots)
- National Park Fees and Climbing Permit
- Specialized Medical Kit including medical oxygen and Portable Altitude Chamber
- Insurance for all Local Staff
- Insurance (compulsory on all trips – ensure you are adequately covered for mountaineering activities and emergency evacuation by helicopter)
- Meals other than breakfast in Kathmandu & Pokhara
- Spending of a personal nature, eg laundry, snacks and drinks, souvenirs, etc
- Plastic boots (available for hire in Kathmandu)
- Crew tips – please allow $US3 per trekking day
- International flights & departure taxes
- Personal Climbing Gear